Is lifting part of your job routine? If so, then everyday you risk injury from strains, sprains, hernias, cuts, and bruises.
Let’s review the dos of lifting.
- Before you begin, know the right way to do the job.
- Check with your supervisor or co-worker if you have any questions about moving a load.
- Always size up the load.
- Get help for heavy or bulky objects. Inspect your path of travel.
- Be aware of stairs and tripping or slipping hazards.
- Choose the safest route.
- Be sure of a safe, firm grip.
- Check for sharp edges.
- If the load is wet or slippery, wipe it off.
- Lift with your legs, not your back.
- Squat down close to the load; keep your back straight; lift slowly with leg power.
- Use material handling equipment whenever possible. When properly used it can save a lot of manual effort.